Virtual Learning Environments
A virtual learning environment gives the ability for web-based access to course content, grades, assessments, and other course tools. It is also a social space where students and teacher can interact through threaded discussions or chat.
Using a virtual learning environment (VLE) students can log in and access all the information relating to their course. Teachers can also log in to set assignments, upload resources, access student homework and post messages to students.
There are many other online virtual learning environment applications available. However, the majority of these are complicated to use and to set up. I have created a VLE which includes core functionality for most VLE websites. It is straightforward to set up and simple to use both for students and for teachers.
The main features of the VLE application are:
- Ability for users to choose different display colour schemes to make it accessible to those with visual impairments.
- Ability to create new courses
- Ability to register students for a course
- To include a course information page
- Ability for teachers to set assignments online
- Ability for teachers to upload resources for a course online
- Ability for students to upload homework online and for teachers to be able to comment on homework
- Ability for teachers to create course news items
- Ability for students to create messages for all the students of a particular course
- To include online student and teacher profile pages
- Most of the information for a course is available on one page.
This VLE application can be installed without modifications or it can be tailored to suit specific requirements.