The London Development Centre is now part of the NHS and works to support health and social care provision in London.
They had an existing Microsoft Access contacts database and asked me to create a new contacts and events database for them with new features. Because the database was going to be accessed from different office locations and by many staff it was decided to design the database using Microsoft SQL Server with a Microsoft Access front end.
This was a large scale project and involved regular meetings and updates to check the progress of the project.
The main purpose of the database was to hold detailed information on all of LDC's contacts. The key features include:
- Detailed contact information with quick lookup ability
- Ability to set interests for contacts, add contacts to distribution lists and related contacts to each other
- Ability to enter details for events and show attendees for an event
- Ability to send group emails and mail merges for filtered contact lists
- An extensive reporting facility
- Ability to record a communication history for contacts
- The transfer of all the existing data in the old Microsoft Access database to the new SQL Server database
The end result was a well designed database that met all their requirements. When it was finished I also held training sessions for staff.